Hearing protection company Howard Leight has redesigned and updated its AirSoft® multiple-use earplugs
- New material, design and engineering features are believed to keep 30-year-old product ahead of its time
- Safety managers value benefits of product enhancements
Hearing protection company Howard Leight has redesigned and updated its AirSoft® multiple-use earplugs. First introduced nearly 30 years ago, AirSoft® is believed to be the first earplug to utilize an internal air pocket. Believed to be offering the industry's highest noise reduction rating (NRR 27), AirSoft® quickly became an industry standard and the flagship product of the Howard Leight® line. The updated AirSoft® includes new material, new design features and new engineering technologies that provide even better fit, comfort and performance.
The following are the other features of the product:
- Key to the success of the original AirSoft® and to the redesigned product is its internal air pocket design. The improved design incorporates a series of patented, noise-blocking fins within the pocket. As the air pocket compresses in the ear canal, these fins interweave to create a noise-blocking barrier optimized to the wearer's ear canal. This facilitates more dependable attenuation from one user to another.
- A fourth flange has been added to AirSoft's profile, and the center shaft has been stiffened to facilitate insertion and removal, and to assure a more consistent fit. The new flange design creates a better seal in the ear canal and is more tapered, with rounded edges, to increase comfort. As a result, AirSoft fits more comfortably in a wider range of ear canals, eliminating the necessity for multiple sizes.
- The original PVC material in AirSoft has been replaced with a more user-friendly TPE which also increases comfort, especially during long-time wear. Howard Leight has retained AirSoft®'s familiar look, but has added a trademarked logo on the stem collar to assure users they are receiving a genuine Howard Leight product. AirSoft® is available in corded and uncorded versions, and at NRR 27, AirSoft® is believed to provide the industry's highest attenuation available in a multiple-use earplug.
SOURCE: Bacou-Dalloz Hearing Safety Group